Re: Lonely spacecowboy

> Why might one want a static binary?
No the question was to get information about your specific installation and usage.
> Wow that's a large question.... here goes, sorry this will be long...
Yes it was.

> Why in the world should I accept having to download and install cygwin, or
> live without if I can't do that, just to run a little data through awk when
No one said you have to accept anything.  If you have the tools and environment you need fine.

> Why in the world should I accept the headache of requiring all those end
> users to install cygwin when it's possible to have a simple self-extracting
> rar that creates a completely simple and self-contained new directory with a
> few binaries and scripts?
I agree.  Do you also require them all to use zsh, awk, etc?  I expect not.
But, if you need them for remote execution its understandable.

> all the possible cases, and my download is tiny so it's fast and painless
> for everyone, even dialup.
That sounds like a good setup.

> Not all cygwin-built binaries necessarily need to link in cygwin.dll. For
> example I have commissioned some programmers to make some customizations to
> PuTTY for me and they used cygwin to build, and the resulting binaries don't
> need cygwin at all to run.

Yes PuTTy is a good.
I use it as well for my cygwin terminal, rather than the MS DOS command window.

I don't know, never tried it, but you should be able to use cygwin to build zsh without cygwin dll dependencies, by using the MS API or with it and Mingw.

Regards,
  Darel Henman