Tru64 5.1 and unresolved externals when building modules

I'm trying to build zsh on Tru64 5.1 but can't seem to get the modules
to build.  I've tried the standard cc, sed, and awk and also the gnu
versions of each with the same results.  For each module it attempts
to build, it displays 'Warning: Unresolved:' followed by a list of
symbols that appear to be from the main zsh executable.  This happens
with both zsh 4.3.2 and 4.3.4.

I have searched the archives and found reports similar problems
several years ago on other operating systems but could not track down
a solution.

Does anyone have a fix for this?  I miss my zsh.

--
tom_p
http://nbpfaus.net/~pfau/