Re: updating the shell environment in screen (was Re: prompt and ssh)

On 27.05.2009, at 03:10, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

On 2009-05-26 07:51:46 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
I forgot to mention that I have term-conditionional setup of my preexec function. Inside screen, my $TERM is always "screen". There could be a problem if I login to a remote system from inside screen and that remote
system had this rc code, though, since the TERM=screen code would
trigger when it shouldn't.  Another possible triggering variable is
$WINDOW, which will be set to the screen's window number when inside
screen -- as long as ssh is not set to pass-through this variable, it
may well be a better trigger mechanism.

You may need to use both, since if you start a terminal (e.g. xterm)
from screen, the WINDOW variable will be inherited.

Didn't know about the WINDOW variable, thanks.

Another issue is if you have two X11-Forwarding sessions with two shells that both attach to the same screen using screen -x, which is my daily use case. You would have to manage two different DISPLAY variables.

I do not have a solution for this yet. It's a pity that screen has so many features but not this.

But now the discussion is not really about zsh anymore.

Sebastian