Re: Completion and double quotes

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:30:08 +0200
Joke de Buhr <joke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Currently my completion is somehow configured to transform double
> quoted paths to backslash escaped paths.
>
> Example:
>   ls /path/to/"file with"<TAB> -> /path/to/file\ with\ spaces
>
> I would like the completion not to touch the quotation.

It's not configurable, but you can put the double quote right at the start
of the filename and it probably does what you want.

The code for handling quoting in completion is utterly impenetrable.  It's
actually at it's worst when you're in a nested expression, for example inside:

  su -c 'ls /path/to/"file with"<TAB>

which is quite liable to crash the shell (I didn't dare try).  Even so,
it's bad enough even in the "simple" case that I don't think it's ever
going to be able to second guess intentions to the sort of level you want.
Of course, as always, if someone has a few dozen of hours of spare time and
wants to make it their life's work to improve, that's fine.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited