Re: Zsh on Debian is beginning to rot

On 2012-09-10 10:56:38 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Vincent Lefevre [Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 10:06:50AM +0200]:
> > On 2012-09-09 13:48:20 +0200, Frank Terbeck wrote:
>
> > > There is a 5.0.0 package in experimental. It's not in sid, because of
> > > the current freeze in debian..
>
> > That's stupid. Subversion was moved to 1.7 in sid, but in sid, zsh
> > remains with svn completion rules that are incompatible with svn 1.7.
> > So, unless some zsh update is done (possibly only the completion rules),
> > this will be an important regression for users of zsh and svn in the
> > next stable version.
>
> In wheezy there currently is subversion 1.6.17dfsg-4,

Ah, OK, but...

> so I don't see your point in calling "That's stupid".

> *If* subversion 1.7 is targeted for wheezy (pointers to release
> exceptions please) then we will try to care of the svn completion.

Well, unstable (sid) is still affected, and I don't see why different
rules should be applied to subversion and zsh. There are 2 cases:

1. The freeze just prevents unstable packages from entering testing,
   in which case it would be OK to make zsh 5.0.0 enter unstable (sid)
   and the sentence "It's not in sid, because of the current freeze in
   debian." is wrong, or at least very inaccurate.

2. The freeze prevents unstable updates, with the goal to move current
   unstable packages to testing, in which case it would be better to
   take care of the svn completion now (that would fix the bug in
   unstable now and would allow more tests by Debian/unstable users,
   while still not affecting testing immediately).

The idea is to keep zsh synchronized with Subversion incompatible
changes at every level.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>