Re: "embedded": tips for a small(er) zsh installation size?

Hi Bart,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:00:20AM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jan 18,  6:14pm, Axel Beckert wrote:
> } Then again, in my case the Unix.zwc is bigger than the Unix directory
> } contents it's generated from
>
> Yeah, ZWC format isn't compressed -- it stores nearly all the raw text
> as well as the "compilation" linkage so that the XTRACE option and the
> functions command can continue to work.  The only thing removed is the
> inconsequential whitespace.

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

> } but I suspect a performance penalty if
> } you just install the source instead of the .zwc files. :-)
>
> The penalty probably isn't much if you aren't using very many of the
> functions packed in the ZWC.  In fact if your use is sparse enough it
> may actually be more expensive to compile.

I guess that counts for just-in-time compiling as it IIRC happens for
per-user files.

At least with regards to the Debian packages: We compile the .zwc for
the completions in the source tar ball already at build time, not at
install or use time. So they're delivered precompiled in the package
anyway.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@xxxxxxxxx (Mail+Jabber)