Re: Issue with histreduceblanks

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Peter Stephenson
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:20:58 +0530
> Raghavendra D Prabhu <raghu.prabhu13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have been noticing an issue with mangling of history (randomly) from a few
>> weeks, today I decided to check which option may have been
>> causing that. It seems to be histreduceblanks
>> I got this thread - http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/1997/msg00542.html
>> from search, but it looks like it turned out to be an issue with
>> terminal capabilities.
>> I use rxvt-unicode normally and noticed the issue on that first.
>> However, as you can see above, I can reproduce this with xterm as
>> well.
>
> It's probably worth making sure whether this is a shell issue or a
> terminal issue.
>
> Recall the line, then (regardless of it being mangled) go to the
> start of it and enter "print ", then hit return.  If it's a terminal
> issue the line you see will be correct.  It seems a bit unlikely that
> that's the problem if it's associated with the option, though.
>
> Are there any non-ASCII characters on the line that might be confusing
> the algorithm (the option pre-dates handling of multibyte characters)?
>
> --
> Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Web page now at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/p.w.stephenson/

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying (it had ended in my Junk due to
Precedence headers).

a) I had also noticed that it writes to the history file mangled.

zsh -f
Archie% setopt appendhistory sharehistory histreduceblanks
Archie% HISTFILE=/tmp/.zsh_history
Archie% HISTSIZE=5000
Archie% SAVEHIST=5000
Archie% cat /tmp/.zsh_history
setopt appendhistory
HISTFILE=/tmp/.zsh_history
HISTSIZE=5000
SAVEHIST=5000
true
cat /tmp/.zsh_history
setopt rcs
setopt sharehistory
true
cat /tmp/.zsh_history
: 1380136272:0;setopt appendhistory sharehistory histreduceblanks
: 1380136276:0;HISTFILE=/tmp/.zsh_history
: 1380136279:0;HISTSIZE=5000
: 1380136282:0;SAVEHIST=5000
: 1380136285:0;cat /tmp/.zsh_history
Archie% Only two kinds of witnesses exist.  The first live in a
neighborhood where
zsh: command not found: Only
Archie% Only two kinds of witnesses exist. he  fisst lvee in a
neighorrhood werre
Archie% cat /tmp/.zsh_history
setopt appendhistory
HISTFILE=/tmp/.zsh_history
HISTSIZE=5000
SAVEHIST=5000
true
cat /tmp/.zsh_history
setopt rcs
setopt sharehistory
true
cat /tmp/.zsh_history
: 1380136272:0;setopt appendhistory sharehistory histreduceblanks
: 1380136276:0;HISTFILE=/tmp/.zsh_history
: 1380136279:0;HISTSIZE=5000
: 1380136282:0;SAVEHIST=5000
: 1380136285:0;cat /tmp/.zsh_history
: 1380136298:0;Only two kinds of witnesses exist. he  fisst lvee in a
neighorrhood werre
: 1380136309:0;cat /tmp/.zsh_history

b)  Also tested with print as requested

zsh -f
Archie% setopt histreduceblanks
Archie% Only two kinds of witnesses exist.  The first live in a
neighborhood where
zsh: command not found: Only
Archie% Only two kinds of witnesses exist. he  fisst lvee in a
neighorrhood werre
Archie% print Only two kinds of witnesses exist. he  fisst lvee in a
neighorrhood werre
Only two kinds of witnesses exist. he fisst lvee in a neighorrhood werre
Archie%

So, is no one else facing this? In that case I wonder if this is an
issue with libraries - glibc etc.

pacman -Q zsh glibc
zsh 5.0.2-4
glibc 2.18-5