Re: completion

On 12/11/2014 09:28 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
They are in fact empty fields, but (again quoting section 20.3.1):
Yabut the number of them changes otherwise that's exactly what I'd
have thought  :(
When looking up styles the completion system uses full context names,
including the tag.  Looking up the value of a style therefore consists
of two things:  the context, which may be matched as a pattern, and the
name of the style itself, which must be given exactly.

Styles are a little inside-out in that the setting contains the pattern
and the later lookup contains the fixed string to match.
Anyway, knowing that the star replaces the colons cracks it open. I think it
could be  explained better, but I have a prayer of understanding it
now thanks.  Actually the best advice is in the book itself:

"Fortunately, you don't need to understand the details of this syntax
to do most things."

Amen.

Whoever designed this was certainly a genius but he had little mercy
for the regular fella.   I look back at the days when I thought German
grammar was unpleasant, and laugh.