Re: symlink chain.

On 01/02/2015 02:21 PM, Peter Stephenson wrote:

... why would the '-a' switch kill the '-s' switch?
It's nothing to do with "-s", it's the "-a".

I put that patch in by hand and it sorts out the  -sa issue, alas:

     $ whence -asm "/usr/bin/zsh"
     (nothing)

I'm expecting -m to widen the search where wildcards are present, and to leave the search unchanged otherwise, but not to kill -s and/or -a. Is it not a general rule that switches are 'cumulative' in nature? IOW each switch adds something, (unless its an exclusivity thing like -v -c -w), such that we shouldn't have to worry about one switch screwing around with what the other switches do?

-a: find all matches on the path
-s: expand symlinks (if any)
-S: expand the full 'chain' of symlinks (if any).
-m: accept wildcards in the search string (if given).

... none of those things contradict each other (tho -S subsumes -s).