Re: autoload

On 09/19/2015 02:22 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Sep 19, 11:13am, Ray Andrews wrote:
} Subject: Re: autoload
}
} I'm thinking about how the creation of a zwc file, and it's subsequent
} use could be considered to be part of the same builtin.

But you don't say

     compiler -build something source/*
     compiler -load something

Rather, you build, and then you install, and then you run, and the way
all shells are designed, you use $path to bridge the install + run steps.
Sure, it wasn't to be taken very seriously, I'm just thinking about the idea that there could be a sort of symmetry between creating a .zwc and then loading one--you could think of them as so related that the command name could be the same. IOW the creation of a .zwc presupposes subsequent use of it the same way that making dinner supposes eating dinner. Command recall would be easier ... but that's never going to happen. I guess the parallel would be 'zip' vs. 'unzip'--we're glad
that the names are related.

As I've pointed out, these are exactly the same as

     zcompile /Functions/Functions.zwc /Functions/*
     FPATH=/Functions/Functions.zwc autoload +X -w /Functions/Functions.zwc

Although the better practice would be to do

     zcompile /Functions.zwc /Functions/*
     FPATH=/Functions.zwc autoload +X -w /Functions.zwc
But ... well, let me try it again, I may have busted something.
} It's very relevant to what degree veterans like yourself use stuff.
} I'd provisionally conclude that if you don't use it, then I don't
} want it.

As I tried to point out, I'm not a very typical user.  I would also
never use Sebastian's navigation tools, or anything from oh-my-zsh;
but that doesn't mean anyone else should avoid them.
No, OTOH in my judgment typicality is not of great value whereas decades of
experience is. Not that I have the slightest hesitation in doing things my own way, but I always want to know what the Old Masters think even if I choose to
differ ... until learning better.