Re: tag-order with git refs

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:01:27 +0200
Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I get the same result as you; this has no effect. However,
> zstyle ':completion:*:complete:git-checkout:*' group-order heads-local
> does work.  The question is a bit unclear, you can't limit something to
> being shown first

I mean what tag-order is supposed to be for, preferring matches for
earlier tags if there are any ("shown" isn't the right word except in
so much as they are shown if you're listing).  If there are matches for
local heads, I want to see only these, so it doesn't go round the tag
loop to find other matches.  That's supposed to be fairly
straightforward to do.

There must be *something* special about the git competion that's
preventing it, though probably obscure and quite likely a side effect of
some completion "feature".  I can see this working with Perforce:

  zstyle ':completion:*:p4-*:at-suffix:*' tag-order changes '*'

correctly limits completion after

  p4 files Makefile@

to just changes applicable to Makefile and not, for example, labels ---
labels and changes mean something for present purposes pretty much like
tags and commits (don't write in if you're a Perforce expert :-)).
That's the general effect I'm after.

> but at least with group-order, if you don't mind
> getting spammed with other results

That's what I'm trying to avoid.  There are way too many other results
to make the listing remotely useful unless I limit it.  I'd like to
focus on getting that to work.  I already have grouping under headings
which is enough for visibility for the matches I do want.

pws