Re: zsh slow and hogs cpu when using */*/*.ext on large file tree

On 12 December 2015 at 17:43, Piotr Karbowski <jabberuser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually it does not seems that 5.1.1 is much slower than 5.2. My report was
> wrong as the grep did not showed up for 20s as with first X files it wasn't
> finding anyting, here I've tested with ls.
>
> But anyways, if I drop the VFS caches with `echo 3 >
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches` before every test, the zsh 5.2 takes 5.546s and
> bash 4.3.42 takes 3.295 thus we can presume that the VFS layer on ext4
> filesystem I run here takes about 3.0s, rest is within the userspace.

I understand what you mean. With VSF optimizations Zsh was 5.546 - 3 =
~2.5, bash was 3.295 - 3 = 0.295.

Could you provide such result for 5.1.1? With VFS warmed up and
dropped, fresh? It's important for me as I worked on Zsh optimizations
recently, with Bart who did all of the code.

Best regards,
Sebastian Gniazdowski