Re: history substring search too aggressive sometimes

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 07:03:58 -0400
John Covici <covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I  was looking at the options section of the manual, and
> although its not perfect yet, disabling menucomplete which was on and
> complete_in_word, helped a great deal.  Also, I discovered to get a
> list of all the options, I had to do
> set -o
> instead of setopt which I was doing before.

Hmm, setopt should show you all non-default options, so if menucomplete
was on it should show up.  That explains why you're getting the first
word inserted.

complete_in_word is only applied if the cursor is in the middle of the
word when you hit tab, and only at that point.  (The standard assumption
is you're at the end of the word you're completing, but it should
be possible to get it to work anyway.)

None of the other options look relevant.

Note there are additional extra things going on if you have directory
paths as it will complete multiple components, but it didn't sound like
that was the issue.

pws