Re: off topic

Ray Andrews wrote on Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 09:45:35 -0800:
> if zsh only came out of the box with just some basic stuff that almost
> everyone will want, that sure would have been appreciated at the time.

Actually, I think that already exists, in a way:

    % env -i ZDOTDIR=$(mktemp -d) zsh
    This is the Z Shell configuration function for new users,
    zsh-newuser-install.
    ⋮
    (2)  Populate your /tmp/tmp.Z4bUNG8Gz5/.zshrc with the configuration recommended
         by the system administrator and exit (you will need to edit
         the file by hand, if so desired).

    --- Type one of the keys in parentheses ---

Typing "2" creates a .zshrc with reasonable default settings, and drops
the user to the prompt; no further menu choices.  The catch is that that
check is hardcoded to inspect /etc/zsh/newuser.zshrc.recommended; that
is, it ignores configure's --prefix.

So if we could make that check honour @PREFIX@, and ship a "recommended
zshrc" that is less minimal than the default no-zshrc behaviour...
I think that'd be a good step forward.