Re: completion is over thinking things.

On 2019-09-29 9:44 a.m., Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 8:30 AM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like
less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Bilbo.
zstyle ':completion:*' completer _expand _complete _files

Note that this only makes completion fall back to _files when nothing
else matches; if _expand or _complete finds something, you won't get
file names.  If you want file names all the time, mixed in with other
results, you'll have to write a custom function.  The simplest such
function might look like:
Not to tempt the Gods, but if I changed the order:

zstyle ':completion:*' completer _files _expand _complete

... would I get files offered first?  I get the impression that that line is most of the meat of completion.

I would not recommend doing this

... Where angels fear to tread.  Praise, I'd not think of it. Normally I break things deliberately just to see how they work, and if it's out of bounds I'm going in ... but not here!

Thanks Bart and Dana.