Glob and grep

Hi,

While I've been able to find varying amounts of information on the net I haven't found quite enough to get the following working.

I would like to condense the following into a single grep / glob expression where I search recursively through a directory tree, ignoring any sub-trees starting with 'test' or 'target'.

grep <pattern> **/*.groovy  | egrep -v "(/test/|/target/)"

While I found information about ^(xxx) it wasn't clear how to have multiple expressions to ignore.

Am I right in thinking I can add (.) to e.g. *.groovy to ensure I only search for files as well ?

Thanks

Nick