Re: git-completion 1.2 released

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 10:34 PM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote on Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 18:53:56 -0600:

> > But the main use of "git send-email" is not to receive random files,
> > it's to receive comittishes, and potentially some .patch files.
>
> So, just this?  Will anyone want to complete files that _don't_ have
> a .patch extension?

Usually "git send-email" receives the patches generated by "git
format-patch", so yeah, *.patch should be enough. But it probably
wouldn't hurt to add *.diff files too, just in case.

> > If I do "git send-email master..<tab>" nothing completes with Zsh's
> > official completion. It does with mine.
>
> Thanks for the bug report.

You're welcome.

But that's just an example. Another example is that "git -C ~/dev/git
show <tab>" doesn't work, and the _git function has a TODO about -c
since 2011. And there's a lot of others.

I did some hacks to run Zsh's official Git completion against Git's
testing framework, and at least half of them fail. I could tell you
how to do that if you are interested.

So in my view it's clear the priorities of the two completions are
very different.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras