Function definition file not found for default functions

Hello,

I'm trying to setup zsh for my user account on a CentOS 7 server. When I
start zsh, I get the following error message

    $ zsh
/usr/share/zsh/5.0.2/scripts/newuser:6: zsh-newuser-install: function definition file not found
    %

I know I can create a .zshrc to stop that error from appearing, but
trying to use completion gives an almost identical message

    % autoload -Uz compinit
    % compinit
    zsh: compinit: function definition file not found

I thought this was an issue with zsh 5.0.2, so I compiled zsh 5.8 from
source and get the same errors with the newly compiled version. These
errors break all of my usual plugins and configurations. What can I do
to prevent them?

Thanks,

Thomas Christensen