Re: Function definition file not found for default functions

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 1:16 PM Thomas A. Christensen II
<tchristensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>      $ zsh
>      /usr/share/zsh/5.0.2/scripts/newuser:6: zsh-newuser-install:
> function definition file not found
>
>      % autoload -Uz compinit
>      % compinit
>      zsh: compinit: function definition file not found
>
> I thought this was an issue with zsh 5.0.2, so I compiled zsh 5.8 from
> source and get the same errors with the newly compiled version. These
> errors break all of my usual plugins and configurations. What can I do
> to prevent them?

This means your $fpath value is not covering the directories where
these functions are defined.  There are several reasons this might be
happening, but the first two I'd check for are:
(1) The functions have not been installed in the same fpath locations
that were compiled into the binary.
(2) There is an (outdated?) /etc/z* file changing the value of fpath.