Re: How do I disable the mode for using j-k keys to scroll through history?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 3:38 PM Steve Dondley <s@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I finally just figured out that I had somehow entered some special mode
> that activates the "j" and "k" keys to pull up prev/next commands.

You're using vi mode, so ESC enters vi command mode (as opposed to vi
editing aka insert mode), just as would happen if you hit ESC while in
vi itself.

> Through trial and error, I discovered the <esc> key triggers this mode
> and the "s" key gets out of it.

Any of "a", "i", or "s", or in a limited way "c" or "r", would return
you to insert mode, along with o, A, C, I, O, R, and S.

> Haven't figured out how to disable this feature. Google has turned up
> nothing useful after 10 min. of searching. Any ideas?

Are you sure you want to disable it?  Why are you using vi commands if
you never want to be in command mode?