How do I disable the mode for using j-k keys to scroll through history?

I've been using zsh with oh-my-zsh for several months now with vi commands. Frequently, the command line seems to "lock up" and become unresponsive to input. I chalked it up to some kind of bug, hit ctrl-c, and moved on.

I finally just figured out that I had somehow entered some special mode that activates the "j" and "k" keys to pull up prev/next commands. Through trial and error, I discovered the <esc> key triggers this mode and the "s" key gets out of it.

Haven't figured out how to disable this feature. Google has turned up nothing useful after 10 min. of searching. Any ideas?