Re: Is this a bug?

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 7:02 PM Perry Smith <pedz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’m on macOS 12.3.1.  I’m using zsh 5.8.1 from Home-brew.  I do `sudo -s` and now it seems I’m using the native macOS 5.8 version of zsh.

That's not a bug.  It should work to do `sudo -s $SHELL` if you want
to keep using the same shell version.

> The command `print -l /System/Volumes/Data/**/*(D)` [...]  appears to hang.  ^C doesn’t stop it.  ^Z does not suspend it.  ^\ kills the sudo and I get back to my user prompt.

This isn't entirely surprising ... those signals might fail because
your user doesn't have privilege to signal the root shell.

> But the apparent hang seems rather ugly.  Can others reproduce this?

Does there happen to be a Time Machine backup under
/System/Volumes/Data/ ?  Time Machine plays some tricks with making
hard links to directories (normally not allowed) for reasons of space
savings, but that could put **/ into an infinite loop.