Re: Is this a bug?

On Apr 18, 2022, at 22:05, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 7:02 PM Perry Smith <pedz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But the apparent hang seems rather ugly.  Can others reproduce this?

Does there happen to be a Time Machine backup under
/System/Volumes/Data/ ?  Time Machine plays some tricks with making
hard links to directories (normally not allowed) for reasons of space
savings, but that could put **/ into an infinite loop.

pedz@Peace Data % ls /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes
.timemachine Macintosh HD
pedz@Peace Data % ls /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
.VolumeIcon.icns Users opt
.file Volumes private
.vol bin sbin
AppleInternal cores tmp
Applications dev usr
Library etc var
System home
pedz@Peace Data % ls /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Volumes
.timemachine Macintosh HD
pedz@Peace Data % ls /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
.VolumeIcon.icns Users opt
.file Volumes private
.vol bin sbin
AppleInternal cores tmp
Applications dev usr
Library etc var
System home

My bad… I knew /Volumes/… would show the repeated mount but I thought somehow
magically /System/Volumes/Data/Volumes would not.  That’s one of the reasons I was
using it as my starting point.  Indeed, I wasn’t aware that /System/Volumes/Data had
Volumes in it.

Now I need to go read zshall and find out how to do “all except ‘Volumes’”

“find” must have something to detect loops?