Re: associative array questions

On 2022-12-11 17:52, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 2:37 PM Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I should say that I thought substitution happened before assignment.
Well, of course it does happen before the assignment is actually
performed, but not before the parser decides that an assignment is
(not) what is syntactically indicated.

If the learning curve wasn't about vertical I'd love to take a look under the hood.  One might cheerfully suppose that it's always obvious when an assignment is indicated but it's not hard to believe that life is not really so simple.  Given the multiple usage of so many characters I'm astonished that the parser could ever have been got working at all.  Agonizing accretion I expect. BTW that would also explain why that 'typedef' method you just showed me does what I want so painlessly -- the context of a typedef simplifies the parser's work.