Re: path PATH

On 2023-01-29 20:41, Bart Schaefer wrote:
The explicit purpose of the hideval attribute is to prevent "typeset
-p" (and several other things) from displaying/restoring the value.

Interesting, that's a logical dilemma.  It's like writing into the constitution that the constitution cannot be changed.  So then (my  imaginary version):

1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 $ typeset -Hi zzz=123

1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 $ typeset -p zzz

typeset -Hi zzz=123

$ typeset -Hi zzz=456 # New value for zzz.

... very understandable that some vars should be hidden 'normally' but does that mean you have to start a new terminal to edit 'zzz'? -- that the country must be dissolved in order to change it's constitution?  Usually there's a way to amend the constitution.  So, in the same spirit, my lines above would seem to me to be the one and only legal way to view and edit zzz.  Or, it could be decided that zzz can *never* be viewed.  But then never edited as well?  One thing I'd say for sure: (real code):

1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 $ typeset -Hi zzz=123

1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 $ typeset -p zzz
typeset -i zzz

... that's simply wrong.  Hiding the '-H' merely fools you into thinking zzz is a plain integer with no value and that's not correct.  My v() does:

1 /aWorking/Zsh/Source/Wk 0 $ v zzz

Iv    zzz = !hidden!

... so at least you see the attributes correctly ( I should use the 'real' single letters that typeset uses) even if you are still forbidden to see the value.  It's a design decision of course, but IMHO every locked door has a key, every constitution can be amended and every var should be viewable and editable even if (in this case) only by explicit exception.  Is there really no way at all to see the value of a hideval?  Surely there is.