Re: set temporary environment variables for builtins

On 12/16/23, Roman Perepelitsa <roman.perepelitsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 9:28 PM Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 12:22 PM Lawrence Velázquez <larryv@xxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > It does work, in general.
>>
>> Well, no, it doesn't.  It works for parameters that zsh separately
>> considers to be "special", which includes all the LC_* variants.  TZ
>> is not special.
>
> In which sense is LC_TIME special for print but TZ is not?

Setting any of the LC_* parameters explicitly calls some locale stuff
(whether or not it is exported), apart from just setting the
parameters:

/**/
void
lcsetfn(Param pm, char *x)
{
    char *x2;
    struct localename *ln;

    strsetfn(pm, x);
    if ((x2 = getsparam("LC_ALL")) && *x2)
	return;
    queue_signals();
    /* Treat empty LC_* the same as unset. */
    if (!x || !*x)
	x = getsparam("LANG");

    /*
     * If we've got no non-empty string at this
     * point (after checking $LANG, too),
     * we shouldn't bother setting anything.
     */
    if (x && *x) {
	for (ln = lc_names; ln->name; ln++)
	    if (!strcmp(ln->name, pm->node.nam))
		setlocale(ln->category, unmeta(x));
    }
    unqueue_signals();
    clear_mbstate();	/* LC_CTYPE may have changed */
    inittyptab();

Mikael Magnusson