Inconsistent behavior with comparisons and recursive glob patterns

The results of these conditional expressions using recursive glob
operators were unexpectedly different:

> [[ f0 = **/f? ]] && print true || print false
false
> setopt extendedglob
> [[ f0 = (*/)#f? ]] && print true || print false
true

Since **/ is a shorthand version of (*/)#, it seems like they both
should have returned 'true'. The comparisons behave the same when
there is at least one directory in the path:

> [[ d1/f1 = **/f? ]] && print true || print false
true
> setopt extendedglob
> [[ d1/f1 = (*/)#f? ]] && print true || print false
true

I came across this because it affects the behavior of zmv, via a test
that filters filenames (line 254 in zsh5.9). An example:

> mkdir d1 d1/d2
> touch f0 d1/f1 d1/d2/f2
> print -rl -- **/f?
d1/d2/f2
d1/f1
f0
> autoload zmv
> zmv -n '**/f?' '$f.txt'
mv -- d1/d2/f2 d1/d2/f2.txt
mv -- d1/f1 d1/f1.txt
> zmv -n '(*/)#f?' '$f.txt'
mv -- d1/d2/f2 d1/d2/f2.txt
mv -- d1/f1 d1/f1.txt
mv -- f0 f0.txt

I think both zmv calls should have attempted to update the 'f0' file
in the base directory. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Awk