Re: 3.0.0: job table full causes fg to fail?

On Aug 24,  6:41pm, Janos Farkas wrote:
} Subject: 3.0.0: job table full causes fg to fail?
}
} I've just run into a problem, and can't imagine how it could be fixed.
}
} [iceq] /usr/src 514> ping ancient >/dev/null &
} zsh: job table full
} [iceq] /usr/src 514> fg
} fg: no current job
}
}    What?  Now, how am I supposed to kill 'em?

There isn't any "current" job, because the most recent job you tried to
start failed to run.  But if you do "jobs" you'll see the numbered list
as usual, and you can `kill %1` to kill the oldest job (kill being a
shell builtin, and thus not needing a job slot), or `kill %-` to kill
the most recent job, or whatever.

I suppose the job code could be smarter about restoring the current job
when one fails to run, as happens when the current job exits, but there's
no real bug here.

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: