Re: zle

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> This made me wonder. Why not make it a library? As an
> alternative to readline? Now readline is cool, but we all know
> zle does better in a whole lot of ways.

This reminds me of a similar idea which I had.  It'd be nice if the text
entrie widgets in the GTK X toolkit had readline/zle-style behaviour.
I think that it'd be in line with what the GTK people are trying to
accomplish if you could, say, have some global setting which says
"Hey! I'm a vi person!" and then do ^, $, dw, etc. inside text entry
widgets.  Man, tab-completion in the file selection widget.  That would
just completely rock.

Anyway, I briefly thought about yanking zle out and using it, since,
as everyone on this list knows, it's the best.  8^)  I decided not to
do it because I'm a bad programmer, but also because I would have to
pull zle out of zsh myself.  If it were libified, then projects like
that would be much easier.

Thanks for zsh!

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx