Re: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character

On Nov 12,  2:12pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: 3.1.5: bad handling of 8 bit character
}
} I suspect this was my fault last time I fiddled with input.c.  It only
} shows up on machines where char is signed, so I didn't notice it.  At
} least, this seems to do the trick for SUNOS, where I was seeing the
} problem.
}
}   int
}   ingetc(void)
}   {
} !     int lastc;
}
}       if (lexstop)
}   	return ' ';

I'm confused.  I have this patch applied to 3.0.5:

 PWS's patch from zsh-workers 4172 to eliminate the `lastc' global
 and thereby clean up some goofy history management and a couple of
 unexpected exits.

That means that my 3.0.5-extended has `char lastc;' in ingetc() as well.
Yet 3.0.5-extended still manages to get the 8-bit characters right, even
though 3.1.5 built on the same machine gets it wrong.

What *else* changed in 3.1.5 to make it sensitive to this?