Re: 3.0 DESTDIR

On Oct 24,  1:05am, Clint Adams wrote:
} Subject: Re: 3.0 DESTDIR
}
} > 	make DESTDIR=/foo/bar/baz install
} >
} > differs in end result from
} >
} > 	make
} > 	make prefix=/foo/bar/baz/usr/local install
}
} Well, I can answer that since my surprise at those two not being effectively
} the same is precisely the reason I wanted DESTDIR in the first place:
} (illustration using bart7)
}
} % strings /tmp/zshtest/usr/bin/zsh | grep tmp
} /tmp/zshtest/usr/share/zsh/functions
} /tmp/zshtest/usr/lib/zsh/3.1.6-bart-7

Ah, yes, I had noticed that recompile, too, but:

(1) that doesn't apply to 3.0.x, because it doesn't compile any of those
strings into the binary, so you still haven't given a reason to have the
DESTDIR patch in that version; and

(2) that recompile is a bug in the 3.1.6 build process which I think we
ought to fix whether or not DESTDIR is also available; and

(3) DESTDIR isn't sufficient anyway, because simply prefixing the entire
path from the root forces you to install into a precise mirror tree of
the install hierarchy.  It turns out that in one of the cases where I
thought DESTDIR would be useful, it actually is not; because what I want
is to change /usr/local/* into /usr/local/stow/zsh/*, that is, insert a
new hierarchy _below_ ${prefix} rather than above.