Re: sourceforge.net CVS tree ready for use

On Apr 1,  9:51pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: sourceforge.net CVS tree ready for use
}
} One question is whether we commit CVS changes straight away, i.e. when
} the patch is posted to the list, or wait for comments. The latter will
} be a little messy, since other developers would have to apply the
} patch to try it, then remove it to avoid CVS reporting a conflict.

CVS will only report a conflict if the checked-in version differs from
the patched version. Otherwise it'll just say "... already contains the
changes ...". The most likely source of actual conflicts would be when
some patches have been applied from the list but aren't yet in the CVS
repository, or the reverse.

} We should certainly think about Andrej's suggestion that the patches
} can be moved offlist now we have a regular repository. As we have
} write permission on sourceforge, a way for doing that over the net
} could probably be handled. Or maybe Geoff can think of something he
} can set up.

A shortcoming of CVS is that there's no reasonable way to generate a
patch from it without either (a) tagging both before and after every
commit (and the before-tag also had better be after updating, or you
create overlapping patches), or (b) generating the patch by diffing
against the modified sandbox before committing.  Of course, only the
developer who actually made the changes can do (b); if he wants anyone
else to be able to regenerate his patch, he has to do (a).