Re: Zsh info index problems

On Apr 5,  3:27pm, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
} Subject: Zsh info index problems
}
} i zcompile
}
} gives me the first lines of shell builtins (description of autoload,
} where zcompile is mentioned) and _not_ zcompile itself.
}
} i globbing, qualifiers
}
} ends here:
}
}      treated specially the way they usually are in globbing.
}                                                    ^^^^^ this word
}
} Is it the problem of info or something wrong with our info files?

It's the problem of info.  In the printed index, the page numbers will
be much more accurate.

The way indexing is implemented is by jumping to the referenced node and
then searching for the first word (actually, the string up to the first
comma, or the whole string if there isn't any comma) in the index entry.

E.g. if you look in the Concept Index (m Concept Index RET) at the
"aliases, completion of" entry, you'll see "Description of Options" as
the node reference.  So `i aliases, completion RET' first searches the
index and finds "aliases, completion of"; it grabs the first word (up
to the comma) and the node reference; and then jumps to "Description
of Options" searches forward for "aliases".

In that particular case, that gets it to the right spot.  In the case of
zcompile, it finds the first use rather than the definition.  I generally
follow `i' with a search (in emacs info mode, that's just `C-s C-w C-s'
but in standalone info you have to actually type the word).

There are a few cases where we could force the search to be more accurate
by using less-human-friendly strings in the part up to the comma, but not
very many.