Re: Completion system directories

On May 3, 11:14am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: Completion system directories
}
} Here is my suggestion for moving functions around.

Structurally I think this looks fine.  I'm occassionally alarmed that we
need a hierarchy this deep, but the idea is that it condenses somewhat
upon installation, right?  E.g. it would lose the {Core,Zsh,...} layer.

} Dunno if that should be done before 3.1.7 or after it.

I have a slight preference for "after" but only a slight one.  There
are advantages either way.

} - Bart didn't like `Core', right? Any suggestions?

Right.  Perhaps "Kernel"?  "System"?

} - Should it be `Utilities' instead of `Utils'?

Probably.  Actually I think they should all be singular e.g. "Utility".
(Cf. "Util" et al.; too bad about "Functions" and "StartupFiles" [*].)

} - There must be a better name than `Types', too...

"Flavor"?  "Class"?

} - Should `Unix' be `Generic' or some such?

I think "Unix" is OK.  Amol D. or the Cygwin folks may have something to
say about how generic those are, after all.

} - Somehow I like the distinction between `Zsh' and `Unix', makes even
}   those function be (hopefully reasonably) grouped.

I agree.

} - For some functions I wasn't completely sure where to put them...

I know ...

} Oh, and does anyone have a list of places that need changing?

The only ones I can find with a grep are:

Completion/Core/compinit
Completion/Core/compinstall
Doc/Zsh/compsys.yo
Doc/Zsh/compsys.yo
INSTALL
configure.in

} And finally: what is the easiest way to make these changes in the CVS
} repository? Is there really no simpler way than using `cvs add' and
} `cvs remove'?

There's no way using :pserver:, but since we have shell access to the
repository ...

If we can impose a moritorium on commits for a while, we can simply copy
the ,v files to new directories in the repository, and then "cvs remove"
the originals.  (We could use mv rather than cp, but that messes up the
"cvs update" of people's existing checked-out sandboxes.  The only way
to make checked-out copies go away cleanly is to "cvs remove"/commit.)

} So, any comments? Suggestions? Opinions?

[*] On the subject of renaming, I've never liked "StartupFiles".  It
misleads people who don't read carefully into copying those files into
/etc (I recognize parts of RedHat's distributed /etc/z* in our samples).
And those samples still refer to zsh 2.7, which never even existed!!
Those files should be touched up and the directory renamed (perhaps to
"Samples").