RE: side effect of "select=long"

> Nonsense. What should that mean? `Start selection when the matches
> don't fit on the screen, oh, *and* start selection always'??

Not at all. We have separately completion lists AND menu
completion/selection. First list is displayed (of course, with
corresponding settings) and then, on the second TAB, menu
completion/selection is started. So, that means `start selection INSTEAD
of list if matches do not fit on the screen and start selection ON THE
SECOND TAB always (assuming, it was not started already)'. What is so
nonsensical here? I just thought, it is simpler than (re-)implementing
full screen pager for lists - given, that we already have one for menu
selection.

> You were asking for a way to start selection in listing-widgets when
> the list doesn't fit on the screen. That's what `select=long-list' is
> for, as explained in the docs.

I was asking for a way to sart selection INSTEAD of list. I never asked
to change the way menu selection is selected (sorry for pun) instead of
menu completion. I beg pardon if I have not expressed myself clear
enough.

-andrej