#compdef -k menu-select glitch in 3.1.9

Remember that function I have that starts with `#compdef -k menu-select ...'?

The zsh/complist module is getting loaded when compinit reads that file,
so that much is working right; but I don't get menu-select behavior when I
invoke the widget.

If I explicitly invoke `zle -C _widget .menu-select _widget' then I do get
menu-select behavior, but for some reason it doesn't work at compinit time.

One other oddity ... before installing 3.1.9 I was using

    #compdef -k menu-complete _widget
    compadd -Q these are some strings
    MENUSELECT=0
    compstate[insert]=menu

With that configuration, every time I exit from menu-selection I get a beep.
With `zle -C _widget .menu-select _widget' I can exit from menu-selection
without getting a beep.  Why the difference?