Re: adding a toplevel zsh.spec.in file

On Jul 17,  7:07pm, Adam Spiers wrote:
} Subject: Re: adding a toplevel zsh.spec.in file
}
} Bart Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
} > I agree that these don't do much harm, but this is bad:
} >
} > }   HISTSIZE=1000
} > }   HISTFILE=~/.zshhistory
} > }   SAVEHIST=1000
} >
} > Please don't mess with the shape of my history or the location of any of
} > my dotfiles.
}
} Why is this messing with your preferences?  It's only setting a
} default which each user can override, surely?

It's setting a default other than the documented one, which I should not
be required to override when the documented behavior is already as I
prefer it.

} > } Now here's a candidate for StartupFiles/RedHat/zshrc.  Anything badly
} > } wrong?
} >
} > Yes.  Don't screw with my fpath and don't autoload functions for me.
}
} Again, I must be missing something because I don't see why you
} describe this as messing with /your/ fpath when at that stage you (the
} user) haven't made any changes to it.

What?  You said this was in /etc/zshrc.  At that point I *HAVE* made
changes to it, in ~/.zshenv.  But even if I hadn't made any changes, who
are you to say that I *WANTED* any changes?

} You are still free to set it to whatever you want, aren't you?

Once again, I should be able to rely upon the documented defaults, not
be required to reassert them.

} The only possible problem I can
} envisage is that something gets autoloaded which you didn't want to
} be, but if you didn't want it autoloaded, you won't be using it
} anyway.

How do you know I won't be using it?  Somthing that you autoloaded may
have the same name as an external executable, which is now masked.  To
get the external executable back, I have to know to unfunction things
you autoloaded.  No, thank you.

} > Your assumptions about where under my home directory there might be
} > functions are wrong,
}
} I wanted to err on the side of convenience.

Please err on the side of my sanity instead.

} > I won't call the aliases "badly" wrong, but I object to them anyway,
}
} I'm curious now.  Why?

Zefram has explained, if it wasn't already clear from my remarks above.

Further, who are you to decide that I don't want the first N-1 arguments
of cp and mv to be corrected, just because it would be wrong to correct
the Nth one?

} > and I'd just as soon not have all that crap in my prompt, thanks.
}
} Just another default, surely?

Just another not-the-documented-default.