Re: order of processing in brace expansion

On Apr 27,  7:09pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: order of processing in brace expansion
}
} I would expect what you expect: the expression is interpreted the same as
} a{b,c}d.  Unfortunately it isn't.  The reason seems to be that the comma
} doesn't get turned back into a token.  If we want to fix this, the
} following patch will do it.

The only issue, I think, is that comma is not a token unless it is inside
braces, and we don't know at time of expanding $~foo that the surrounding
expression is eligible for brace expansion.  A tokenized comma does still
match an "ordinary" comma during file globbing, but does that mean that it
always matches an ordinary comma?

If tokenizing when it's not necessary doesn't hurt anything, then I think
we should fix the bug.  ("make check" does pass with the patch applied.)