Re: Export problem

> It's a bit ambiguous, it does say `command substitution' which always
> implies word-splitting of unquoted words.  But you can take the reference
> to `variable assignment' at the start to imply the result remains part of
> the variable assignment.  And the question for us is really what POSIX
> says.

It says that the shell is to do field splitting after parameter
expansion, command substitution, and arithmetic expansion,
provided double quotes are not involved.  More or less.

I'm not sure that that clears things up, since I interpret
the meaning of `word' in ${x:=word}, x=word, and export x=word
to be the pre-expanded word.