Re: AIX-problem: the main module won't link statically

Timothy Miller wrote:

> Updated `stamp-modobjs'.
> rm -f libzsh-4.0.1.so
> gcc  -s  -o libzsh-4.0.1.so  `cat stamp-modobjs` -ldl -lcurses -lm  -lc

It is still trying to link a libzsh so I suspect that the
zsh_SYS_DYNAMIC_EXECSYMS test is going wrong, possibly because the test
it does is trying to use the dl* functions. Timothy: could you please
try changing the `L=L' line somewhere in configure to `L=N'. Keep
Andrej's patch in and then try another build (after a `make distclean'
or whatever to clean things up).

Andrej wrote:
> Oliver, is it possible to compile zsh with gcc on AIX? I understand,
> currently it is assumed that we use native compiler. Or does gcc support
> the same options as native compiler?

I never tried it. The AIX machines were on an isolated network so I'd
have had to split gcc across a pile of floppies to get it over which I
never felt inclined to do. What I can tell you is that gcc would not
support the same options as the native compiler. For example, I expect
that to achieve the -L option which Timothy described in 14825, it would
need something like -Wl,-rpath,/cs/lib/zsh.

> But the second branch is never executed for AIX. Anybody remembers what's
> going on here? What DLLDFLAGS are needed on AIX? Oliver, what have you
> used?

I wish I could remember that. I don't particularly recognise "-G
-bexportall". You can try looking through the ld documentation which is
at
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/cmds/aixcmds3/ld.htm
but they don't seem to have the compiler's documentation there.

Oliver

http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp