Re: bindkey

Pierpaolo Righini writes:
>computer too!! Thanks a lot! Indeed what I really needed is the way to
>obtain the code of the various keys.

Bart Schaefer writes>
> Hmm, this is a bit of a thorny problem:  describe-key-briefly only works
> correctly for keys which are bound to something.  For keys that are not
> bound, the search through the key tables stops as soon as it finds that
> the prefix is not bound, without consuming the remaining characters of
> the multi-key sequence.

Given this situation, I think the way to know the sequence (sent by a key) is to
look at the configuration of the terminal (emulator), In case your problem is with Xterm,
see the file (in XFree 4.0.2):

   /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm

mine contains:
*VT100*translations:    #override \
....(lines skipped)
<KeyPress> Home: string("[1~") \n\
<KeyPress> End: string("[4~") \n\
Ctrl <KeyPress> Home: string("[88~") \n\
Ctrl <KeyPress> End: string("[87~") \n\
Shift <KeyPress> Right: string("r") \n\
Ctrl <KeyPress> Right: string("[`3") \n\
Ctrl <Key> Left: string("[`2") \n\

IIRC in XFree 3.xx it was:
      /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm