Unicode support in Zle

Zsh workers,

I would like to find out whether anyone is working on support for
typing and editing Unicode characters in the ZLE (using UTF-8).
I looked at the most recent development versions I could see and
I didn't notice anything.

Because I wanted the functionality I have already delved into the code
to determine the feasibility of doing it without breaking anything.
I will probably work what I've done already into a patch if indeed
nobody is already doing this. I expect a first cut of it will be an
approximately 1200 line patch, mostly to zle_main.c and zle_refresh.c.

Thanks for your input.

-Phil