Re: yodl discontinued.

Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> I did a bit of investigation into DocBook before. We can get an initial
> conversion using makeinfo's --docbook option. The output of that still
> needs significant editing, however. From docbook, we'd get decent HTML
> output and better PDF output. Once there's a complete open source
> XSL-FO implementation, PDF would get better still (currently, it goes
> via TeX). Texinfo output seems to require some extra tool and would be
> potentially less good. How attached are people to having decent texinfo
> output?

As long as we can get info, I think that's good enough.  If makeinfo
produces DocBook output, is the reverse true?  I don't think we need
texinfo as such since we can get PDF another way.

(I would say, however, that neither of the obvious ways of turning
FO --- the intermediate output stage, akin to DVI --- into PDF is
entirely satisfactory.  Either you need a full Java set up or a
fairly particular TeX set up.  Both are subject to the multiple
dependency problems which will be familiar to anyone who's tried to
get, for example, Gnome's documentation system working from scratch
(though the actually dependencies are different in this case).)

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.