Re: zsh hangs on AIX 4.3.3

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:56:15 -0400
"Gene Carter" <gananda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to use zsh on an AIX 4.3.3 box. Unfortunately, I appear to be
> hitting a bug related to a wait
> on signals.

Unfortunately it looks like there's no AIX host at Sourceforge, so
there's no way for us to debug this, unless it turns up on another
system.  That seems unlikely (for common systems like Linux and Solaris,
anyway), since someone ought to have tripped over it by now, I would
think.

> The script seems to make it through about 351 interations, and then
> hangs.

Do you mean the second number output would be 351, or 35100?  In any
case I seem to have got to about 300000 with no problems (Fedora Core 5
on x86 with the latest zsh source), but I'll leave it running.

sigsuspend(), which is where the shell is hanging, is the standard POSIX
mechanism.  The only suggestion I can make is that you try defining
BROKEN_POSIX_SIGSUSPEND in config.h and recompiling to see if that
helps.  It's not very likely, however.  Alternatively, try one of the
other signal handling styles: undefine POSIX_SIGNALS in config.h and define
BSD_SIGNALS or SYSV_SIGNALS.  (They won't necessarily compile and link.)

Other than that, someone is going to have take a deeper look with a
debugger.  Are there jobs in the table given by the jobtab variable that
aren't done (the index maxjob gives the highest possible valid one)?  If
so, what is the state of them and the process structures pointed to by
them?