Re: PATCH: Add CORRECT_NOCOMPSYS option

Greg Klanderman <gak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > The final goal for what?
>
> Not completing all the stupid completion widget functions starting
> with "_" at a shell prompt where they are totally irrelevant.
[...]

Yes, that was my guess. Completion.

> > For completion (without looking at it in detail), I think what Greg
> > wants could be done with the _ignore completer.
>
> > :
>
> > So, when you're talking about a final goal, IMHO, CORRECT_IGNORE is
> > quite a reasonable solution.
>
> Neither of these mechanisms do what I described.  If you allow
> substring completion, i.e.
>
> | zstyle ':completion:*' matcher-list '' 'm:{a-zA-Z}={A-Za-z}' '+ l:|=* r:|=*'
>
> then even with the 'ignored-patterns' zstyle set to '_*', if you try
> to complete something which has no non-ignored matches, it will then
> fall back to not ignoring those patterns, and will complete to
> something that starts with "_" even when there was no "_" before you
> hit <tab>.  If you remove the _ignore completer, then you can never
> complete a function starting with "_".

Since I don't use matcher-lists, I cannot comment any further. Compsys
experts will have to take on that one. :)

> For CORRECT_IGNORE, just look back to Richard's original question in
> this thread - with that setting you can *never* complete something
> that matched the pattern, which is not what you want.

That's my point. CORRECT_IGNORE has *nothing* to do with completion.
It's about correction. That is precisely why I was asking about what
Richard meant by 'final goal', because the thread initially had
nothing to do with completion.

Final goal in completion - based on what you described - will have to
be solved within compsys.

Final goal in correction (for the problem I described), can be
achieved by what CORRECT_IGNORE provides. If someone wants more
control in _correction_ than that, that someone would probably have to
reimplement the correction code into a more flexible system (maybe
even function based - like compsys). But I doubt it would be worth it.

> Even with the 'matcher-list' setting for substring completion, file
> completion of files starting with '.' does work as I want.  Can
> someone point me to where that is handled?

Could a compsys guru shed some light on this? :)

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925