Re: non-interactive set -m

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> POSIX doesn't specify whether the left or right side of a pipeline
> will run in the current shell, which means that with POSIX_JOBS set
> and this patch applied zsh will produce different results for the
> piping of "jobs" to something.  Since it's only been about a year (?)
> since we went through all the rigamarole of making "jobs" in a sub-
> shell have access to (a snapshot of) the parent's job table, it seems
> hasty to break that again even an as option.

It seems to me it should one thing or the other---either have job
control in the shell with its own separate job table, or report the
parent's.  A mixture is madness.

> Also look here:
>
> $ sleep 30 &
> [1] 14341
> $ ( sleep 40 & jobs )
> [2] + Running              sleep 40
> [1] - Running              sleep 30
> $
>
> Note that in pdksh the job in the subshell is added to the table of
> jobs inherited from the parent shell (testing with pdksh 5.2.14).

Yuk.  So you've got a real job you can manipulate, and one phantom job
from the parent shell you can't and which is presumably fixed like that
for eternity.  In other words, pdksh (unlike zsh) doesn't clear the job
table while keeping a copy of the parent's around, it just uses the same
job table.  This doesn't strike me as the right way to do it.