Re: non-interactive set -m

On Jul 12,  8:35pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Re: non-interactive set -m
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
} > POSIX doesn't specify whether the left or right side of a pipeline
} > will run in the current shell, which means that with POSIX_JOBS set
} > and this patch applied zsh will produce different results for the
} > piping of "jobs" to something.
}
} It seems to me it should one thing or the other---either have job
} control in the shell with its own separate job table, or report the
} parent's.  A mixture is madness.

I agree with *that*, but I'm wondering if the end result is that the
POSIX spec is self-contradictory [it wouldn't be the first time].

} > Note that in pdksh the job in the subshell is added to the table of
} > jobs inherited from the parent shell (testing with pdksh 5.2.14).
}
} Yuk.  So you've got a real job you can manipulate, and one phantom job
} from the parent shell you can't and which is presumably fixed like that
} for eternity.

No, actually, you have two jobs neither of which you can manipulate.
PDKSH doesn't do job control in subshells.  It turns off -m when the
subshell starts, and silently ignores it if you manually turn it back
on again.