Re: zle messes up 'words' variable?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 28, 11:19pm, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> }
> } I saw the following reply online but I wasn't CC'ed:
>
> I typically don't Cc on mail to the list unless the sender specifically
> asks for that.  If you asked and I missed it, I apologize.

Oh, I'm typically on mailing lists where Reply-To isn't munged so it's
not necessary to ask for that. But I'll do that.

> } > What may be happening is that "sticky emulation" is in effect, so
> } > that when the function is autoloaded in bash compatibility mode,
> } > "words" becomes non-special. If so, I'm not familiar enough with
> } > bashcompinit to say whether that's intentional or an accidental
> } > side-effect.
> }
> } This has nothing to do with bashcompinit, the issue is with plain
> } compinit.
>
> Your example in workers/29086 explicitly loads and runs bashcompinit.
> What am I missing?

What is 'workers/29086'?

This thread is titled "zle messes up 'words' variable?", and the test
has nothing to do with bashcompinit:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.shells.zsh.devel/22479

> } BTW. This messes up with a very important function in bash completion:
> } _get_comp_words_by_ref()
>
> I'm now entirely confused.
>
> I no longer believe that I know what you mean by "in bash completion."

By bash completion I mean:
http://bash-completion.alioth.debian.org/

> There's no shell function _get_comp_words_by_ref anywhere in the zsh
> sources.  Where is that coming from?

From here:
http://git.debian.org/?p=bash-completion/bash-completion.git;a=blob;f=bash_completion;h=253d1fb99bcd253535b78c4cbf94e9322e60098c;hb=a43a68f2c60c9f29ab81986382b4063a3aa7bbbb#l422

But it seems it has changed.

> If what you're doing is loading functions into zsh that were written to
> be used with bash's compgen, then I don't follow how you can NOT be
> using bashcompinit.

I am using bashcompinit, but the issue appears without it.

--
Felipe Contreras