Re: printf %<n>s in UTF-8 is not always POSIX-compliant

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:09:17 +0100
Frank Terbeck <ft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IMHO, ksh-emulation is a little bit like csh emulation: It's meant to
> make users with ksh background feel more "at home", not as a strict
> bug-for-bug emulation.

That's basically how I see it.  It doesn't mean we can't do better --- but
I don't think we can do better by people who don't really use the mode
initiating random tweaks in the hope that the world becomes a better
place.  We really would need someone who is in a position to take a
global view of how changes to the mode affect the emulation.

This is a rather different case from POSIX emulation, where there's (i)
a standard (ii) quite a lot of visibility of what the effect of changes
are.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>            Software Engineer
Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070                   Cambridge Silicon Radio Limited

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Follow CSR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CSR_PLC and read our blog at www.csr.com/blog