Re: Follow-up: CHECK_JOBS doesn't work when only one command was run since last Control-D

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:27:00 -0700
> 1. You type exit (or hit ^D) and the shell says you still have jobs.
>
> 2. You type "jobs" to find out what is still running.
>
> 3. There's nothing interesting in the jobs list (you just want them
>    to die).
>
> 4. You type exit (or ^D) again.
>
> 5. Zsh deliberately ignores the fact that you ran a command between
>    the two exits, and simply goes away without further complaint.
>
> I *think*, if we no longer care to provide this particular (mis?)feature,
> that it would be OK to remove the "stopmsg = 2" from builtin.c:zexit().
> However, I'm not entirely confident there aren't other side-effects.

It should surely be possible to fix it properly, somehow, so that if
you've just looked at the jobs it will still exit but if you've executed
anything else it won't.

However, I don't think having to type ^D twice in any case is
particularly bad (though I do recall occasions in the completion system
where Sven spent some time adding features to avoid a user having to
type A WHOLE EXTRA CHARACTER).

pws

More information can be found at www.csr.com. Follow CSR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CSR_PLC and read our blog at www.csr.com/blog